Planting roots, part I: Green Seattle Day
On Saturday, November 7th, join the Green Seattle Partnership (and many of your neighbors) to plant native plants in several SE Seattle parks. Volunteers will meet at Rainier Community Center (at 8:30 AM--ahem!) and then *ride buses* to the various sites. Lunch will be provided.
Planting roots, part II: A community conversation about gentrification
On Thursday, November 12th, Got Green's climate justice committee will host "Our Roots will Weather the Storm: Community Town Hall on Gentrification and Climate." Food and childcare will be provided, so you know I'll be there. ;)
- Art + buses + community = life (part II)
- Respect to those who came before, part V (Or, Why we need Indigenous People’s Day)
- On cars and community
- Buses are for everyone, part IV
- Multimodal Monday: Greenway riders
- Power to the people
- Art + buses + community = life
- A beautiful, brief ride
- On busing and birthday parties (or, My brief encounter with a bus goddess)
- My kind of bus driver appreciation
In the Bus Bag
Spiritual Ecology: The Cry of the Earth, edited by Llewellyn Vaughn-Lee
Tag Archives: Flexcar
I’m waiting patiently for Bus Baby to make an appearance (hey, I thought I signed up for 40 weeks–not 41), frightening my fellow passengers, who, it seems, are desperately hoping my water doesn’t break while we’re sharing a seat.
There are several items I failed to report while I was busy attempting to will myself into labor, but I only have the energy to tell you about two of them.
First, the not-so-good news:
From today’s Flexcar newsletter:
Rental-car tax update
Last month in FlexNotes, we notified you that the Washington State Department of Revenue advised Flexcar that we must begin to collect the 9.7% state rental-car tax from our members on October 1, 2007. Since then, Flexcar and the …
Yesterday, Ben from Capitol Hill hipped me to some information that I apparently missed in the September Flexcar newsletter:
Beginning October 1, 2007, car-sharing in Seattle will be subject to a state-authorized, county-administered rental-car tax of 9.7%. This means that Flexcar Seattle members will be charged this 9.7% tax, in addition to the existing sales tax, bringing your total tax amount to 18.7% for any car-sharing usage on or after October 1.
If this ain’t a prime candidate for an Out of Service…
What are we* …
Today I rented a Flexcar (for the first time since January) and brought along two of my favorite CDs for the ride. I have to say, there’s nothing like rollin’ through the streets of your city on a sunny(ish) afternoon, windows down, blasting Erykah Badu’s “Cleva” as loud as it will go.
Facts of note:
• The average shared car removes 15 private cars from the road.
• The average Flexcar user spends $85 per month (I spend significantly less) on car use, while the average private car costs $700 a month.
• Flexcar, which started (and is based) in Seattle, now has a presence in 10 cities, …